The Asia New Zealand Foundation and the New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade offers up to eight young social entrepreneurs and business leaders from Southeast Asia the chance to visit New Zealand.
The week-long programme will give participants a better understanding of New Zealand’s social enterprise sector.
Applications close 30 June 2017.
About the trip
Dates: 24 September to 2 October 2017
This opportunity is part of the ASEAN Young Business Leaders Initiative (YBLI), a key part of the New Zealand Government’s ASEAN (Association of South East Asian Nations) strategy. The initiative was created to strengthen links between entrepreneurs and business leaders in Southeast Asia and in New Zealand. So far, 73 business leaders from all ten ASEAN member countries representing a range of industries have visited New Zealand. In addition, 21 New Zealand business leaders and entrepreneurs have travelled to Southeast Asia.
Successful applicants will meet New Zealand social entrepreneurs, develop greater knowledge of New Zealand’s innovative and exciting social enterprise scene and explore ways to collaborate with social entrepreneurs from New Zealand. Applicants will also attend and potentially speak at leading conference, the Social Enterprise World Forum.
During the trip you will:
- learn about the New Zealand business environment, specifically with regard to social enterprise
- meet and network with social entrepreneurs and business leaders in New Zealand to build relevant connections and networks
- explore opportunities to increase ethical trade between New Zealand and Southeast Asia
- interact with the Asia New Zealand Foundation Leadership Network, a network of New Zealand’s top young leaders
- take time to understand the culture of New Zealand
- attend global event, the Social Enterprise World Forum in Christchurch.
The Foundation will work with New Zealand diplomatic posts in ASEAN to deliver the programme.
Who can apply?
Applicants must be:
- aged under 40
- able to demonstrate leadership in their field and of sufficient English language ability
- an entrepreneur or business leader at CEO or senior management level from one of the ten ASEAN nations
- work in or lead a social enterprise.
- Outstanding start-up entrepreneurs or emerging entrepreneurs will also be considered. No knowledge or experience of New Zealand is required.
- be based in and have citizenship of one of the ten ASEAN member countries
- be interested in connecting with equivalents from other countries and exploring international business opportunities
- be confident public speakers willing to engage in dialogue with entrepreneurs from other countries
- be willing to contribute to the relationship between New Zealand and ASEAN.
How to apply
Please email the following to Adam McConnochie:
- A completed application form
- Two referees.
The Asia New Zealand Foundation will fund the costs of successful applicants, including a return economy airfare, domestic transport, accommodation and insurance, as well as most meals and miscellaneous expenses.
Applications will be assessed initially by the relevant New Zealand Embassy or High Commission. Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed either in person or via Skype. In New Zealand, the Asia New Zealand Foundation and Akina will consult with New Zealand Trade and Enterprise and the ASEAN New Zealand Business Council to make a final decision.
Email Adam McConnochie - project manager, ASEAN Young Business Leaders Initiative: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit: http://www.asianz.org.nz/content/opportunity-nz-visit-social-entrepreneurs-and-business-leaders-southeast-asia